Serves 4 to 6 people
For the Sweet Potato Black Pepper Biscuits:
½ cup Sweet Potatoes (Baked and Pureed)
2 tbsp Louisiana Brown Sugar
2 tsp Black Pepper (fresh ground)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Butter
¼ cup Milk
½ cup flour
1 dash Salt
1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
For the Seafood Stew:
12 ea Louisiana Oysters (shucked)
2 lb Louisiana Crawfish Tail Meat
2 lb Louisiana Shrimp 21/25
2 tbsp Salad Oil
¼ cup Onion (small dice)
¼ cup Red Bell Pepper (small dice)
1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
½ cup Mirliton (small dice)
2 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tbsp Tabasco Hot Sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
4 oz Abita Amber Beer
4 oz Shrimp Stock
4 oz Heavy Cream
To Prepare the Sweet Potato Black Pepper Biscuits:
• Preheat and over to 350 degrees.
• In a large bowl mix the sweet potatoes and the butter together. In a separate bowl sift the baking soda, sugar, flour, black pepper, Cajun seasoning and the salt together. Mix the two bowls together in a small kitchen mixer with the dough hook attachment.
• Slowly add the milk.
• Butter a baking sheet / pan lightly.
• Using a small soup or teaspoon, spoon a little of the mixture (approx 2 tbsp worth) onto the baking sheet. Continue until all the mix is gone.
• Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
• Keep warm.
To Prepare the Seafood Stew:
• Heat a large sauté skillet over high heat. When it is hot add the oil, onions, bell peppers and garlic.
• Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, oysters, Cajun seasoning and mirliton.
• Continue to cook until the shrimp are half way cooked. Deglaze with the Abita Beer and reduce by half.
• Add the shrimp stock, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and crawfish tail meat.
• Season to taste.
• Place the biscuits into the bottom of a soup bowl.
• Ladle the Louisiana Seafood Stew over the biscuit and serve.